What can I check on my terminal when it hasn't been used for a while?
If your store has been closed for an extended period of time, there are some steps to take before reopening, to ensure everything is running as expected:
- Optionally clean your payment terminal.
- At least 24 hours in advance, connect the terminal to a power supply and turn it on. This allows the terminal to pick up updates that happen overnight.
- Do the following basic checks:
- When the terminal has started up, verify that the Adyen logo or your company logo appears on the terminal display.
- Confirm that the terminals are updated with the latest terminal firmware.
- Check the software version in the terminal list in your Customer Area, or on the terminal itself in the Info menu (press 5 and then Confirm, or press 5 + Confirm at the same time) or in the Admin menu > Software.
- If you have a portable or handheld terminal, recharge it for at least 4 hours, or 24 hours in case of a V400m terminal.
- Inspect the terminal for tampering - Check for missing seals or screws, holes in the device, and anything inserted in or attached to the card reader, ports, display, or keypad. Refer to Regular inspection.
- Do a PSP connection test: Admin menu > Network > Diagnostics > PSP connection. All items should have a green check mark.
To verify that the terminal is operating properly, do a "penny test":
Make a live payment for a minimal amount and check the status of this payment in your Customer Area > Transactions > Payments.
When you turn on the payment terminal after it has been powered off for a prolonged period of time, it will complete a maintenance call to synchronize the configuration and update the software. It can take 20 to 30 minutes before startup is completed.
Finally, check that all the information on the terminal matches what is listed in the Customer Area by searching for the terminal in the Point of Sale > Terminals page, and by pressing 5 + Green on the terminal. You should see that the terminal is boarded to the same account listed in the portal, that the IP address is up to date, and that the last activity is from a recent time.
Learn more on this topic and practice what you’ve learned.Go to your Customer Area