What are the Klarna dispute fees?
Do you have the right user role?
Please check whether you have the following user role:
Merchant Dispute Management
From 1st May 2023 Adyen will start passing through the Klarna dispute fees for all merchants processing with Klarna. Dispute fees are to be charged whenever a dispute is escalated. Merchants integrated with Klarna via Adyen will be subject to Fee Type 1.
Only the disputes that weren’t resolved directly with your customer within the timelines specified by Klarna will be subject to the dispute fees.
New dispute reason codes
As a reflection of the fee introduction, we improve the dispute management process by introducing 2 new reason codes starting May 1 2023.
Dispute notification: an RFI that serves as an informational notification to merchants with disputed orders. After receiving a dispute notification the merchant has 21 days to solve the dispute directly with the customer before the dispute gets escalated.
Tip: Please ask customers to close the complaint in the Klarna app as soon as the case is resolved. If Klarna isn’t informed of the resolution, the dispute might escalate, and thus the merchant is charged the dispute fee.
High risk orders: replaces the current stop request email flow, and from May 1 all stop requests will be managed via the dispute portal. This concerns orders for which the Klarna risk platform identified as having high chances of fraud.
Note: Merchants should stop the order shipping or provide the service as soon as possible. Contact the shopper and request a different payment to the order.
Tips to reduce disputes
- If you offer in-store returns, have clear instructions for your customer as to which information should be saved, the procedure, and your timeline for processing in-store returns.
- If you don’t accept the return, make sure to explain why and to document the exchange.
- Provide the customer with the means to make returns on their own (return label, generating a QR code).
- Capture the order only once you’re ready to send it and inform the shopper about the delivery.
- Have insurance/contract with the shipping company to ensure delivery happens according to the Klarna shipping policy.
- Ensure the quality of products before shipping and if possible document this.
- Have a separate faulty goods process, to ensure speedy resolution. For example, if the contact method is email or a contact form, specify to already send a picture of the faulty product.
- If you were in contact with the customer for an order cancellation or invoice adjustment, make sure to inform them about the timeframe. This allows the customer to assess if pausing the invoice with Klarna is necessary. For example, we received your order cancellation, please allow X amount of days before the invoice is adjusted.
- Confirm that the correct products are sent and document this.
- Clarify on your website to your shopper, that if they selected Klarna as a payment method, the shopper should make the payment to Klarna. Make sure to mention however, that if something is wrong with the invoice, to contact you first.
- Prevent either sending your own invoice or adding invoice information to any consumer-facing communication. Prevent miscommunications to whom the payment should be made.
Tips to reduce escalated disputes
All reason codes
- Proactively check which dispute notifications were opened and approach the customer directly to resolve the complaint.
- Once a resolution is reached, ask customers to close the Klarna dispute in the Klarna app.
- Before adjusting the invoice of a returned order, check if there’s an open dispute. This way you can confirm if the items you received are the ones the customer indicated to have returned. If not, you can reach out to the customer to validate the return.
- Ensure to capture and refund the order as soon as you, the merchant, receive the return.
- Inform the customer that refund will be processed through Klarna.
- Don’t refund customer directly.
- Once the order is sent, forward the delivery link to your customer, this way they can contact you directly if there’s any delay with delivery.
- When capturing the order, ensure to add the delivery information. This information will help Klarna solve disputes faster.
Learn more on this topic and practice what you’ve learned.Go to your Customer Area