How can I refund a payment from the Customer Area?
Refunding your shoppers
When your customer returns an item and you want to return their funds, you can refund their payment.
Submit a refund via your Customer Area
- Log in to your Customer Area.
- Go to Transactions > Payments.
- Select the PSP Reference of the payment you want to refund.
- Select Refund payment and adjust the amount to be refunded.
- Confirm and select Refund.
Submit a refund via the API
- Follow our technical documentation.
Possible reasons you can’t make a refund
Is the refund button unavailable, or you can’t make a refund? This can happen for one of the following reasons.
- Your user role doesn’t have refund rights. Reach out to your admin user. They can assign you the Merchant manage payments role, which lets you make refunds.
- The payment method doesn’t support refunds. See an overview of our payment methods.
- A refund isn’t yet possible. A payment must be captured and in SentForSettle or Settled status before a refund is possible. Read more on payment statuses.
- The bank account details aren’t valid. This can happen with some online banking methods like Sofort. Check the IBAN versus the issuerCountry for mismatches.
- You reached the refund limit for this payment method. See a visual overview later in this article.
- If your transaction received the RefundFailed status, read why your refund failed.
- You have an insufficient refund balance.
Generate a list of refunds made during a certain time period
If you wish to generate a list of refunds made during a certain time period, you can use the Interactive Payment Accounting report in the Customer Area > Reports. After selecting the report, you can choose the timeframe and time zone you want to use, and filter on the journal SentForRefund before generating the report.
Was this article helpful?
Learn more on this topic and practice what you’ve learned.Go to your Customer Area