When is my chargeback auto defended by Adyen?
When is my chargeback auto-defended by Adyen?
In some cases, Adyen will automatically defend a chargeback with no action needed on your part.
These chargebacks include:
- Already refunded transactions in which the refund occurred before the chargeback event.
- Fraud chargebacks (fraud reason code) for which there was a liability shift (such as with 3D Secure payments).
- Chargebacks that include technical errors that invalidate them (for example, when a chargeback is sent outside of the time frame allowed by the schemes).
- Chargebacks not applicable to your MCC code.
These chargebacks will still be visible to you in the Customer Area. There are some exceptions to the above scenarios.
When is a chargeback not auto-defended by Adyen?
- In case of already refunded transactions:
- If the refund amount is less than 90% of the transaction amount.
- If there are multiple partial refunds adding up to less than 90% of the transaction amount.
- When the chargeback is initiated outside 120-day timeframe:
- The timeframe is calculated from expected delivery date, not transaction date. This applies to some dispute reasons such as non-delivery of merchandise.
Chargebacks for some payment methods (Sepa, PayPal, Klarna) or with certain reason codes are not defendable, and Adyen auto-defense will not be used in these cases.
Was this article helpful?
Learn more on this topic and practice what you’ve learned.Go to your Customer Area